Communityandrsquo;s knowledge on andldquo;Teffandrdquo; Erag | 88939
International Research Journals

International Research Journal of Plant Science

All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Community’s knowledge on “Teff” Eragrostis tef, (Zucc.) Trotter) farming practice and processing at central Ethiopia


Tesfaye Bekele*, Wubeshet Teshome, Tamene Yohannes and Ashenafi Ayenew

Documentation and its transfer system of that indigenous knowledge on the production and processing of “Teff” from communities of different “Teff” growing agroecology of Ethiopia is limited. The present study aimed to document Community’s Knowledge on “Teff” Eragrostis tef, (Zucc.) Trotter) farming practice and processing at Central Ethiopia: Chafe Donsa, Minjar Shankora, Ada’a Barga and Ejere districts of (Amhara and Oromia Regional States). The study methods were followed purposive and random sampling, interviewing selected elder people (women and men) who have long history on knowledge of “Teff” production by means of a semi-structured questionnaire and focus group discussion. Accordingly, 64.44% of the respondents were farmers who were producing “Teff” for long period and have knowledge on it (all are males). Whereas, the rest 35.56% were users that they were used directly from their farm or by bought (all are females). Regarding farmland preparation, all farmers were agreed that the farmland of “Teff” need special care before sowing the “Teff”. In addition, farmers were followed different step at “Teff” harvesting time, put sheaves of “Teff” on the farmland that locally called "Dekel' 2-3 days, pilled on the farmland, which traditionally called "Zememen”, pilled the sheaves for 1-3 months at trashing site and after accomplished threshing of different crops they threshed “Teff” on the prepared areas and store the grain. Majority of mothers (users) 75% were reported that they preferred stored grain due to its traditional diet “Injera” was became flavor good, softy and knead with a little amount of water during baking. Concerning; the knowledge 96.6% of farmers and 56.3% of mothers were said they gained from their families (father and grandfather, mother and grandmother) respectively. All farmers and users were agreed that indigenous knowledge on “Teff” production and management system were immemorial practiced. However, the community has kept this knowledge and passed it to generation and scientific community. Therefore, the users of “Teff” at different level and scientific institutions have to be aware of keeping and giving accreditation to farmers’ knowledge. Besides, they have to be done for the effective implementation of fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from the utilization of genetic resources and associated community knowledge.

Share this article