Okechukwu O.I, Okechukwu A.A, Noye-Nortey H, Owusu-Agyei
Lack of basic sanitation is the world’s biggest cau se of infection. Piped sewage systems and wastewate r treatment plants serve only a small fraction of peo ple in developing countries. The poor are left with either on-site systems of storing their waste such as pit latrines, or practice open or roadside defec ation, while the rest use buckets, and plastic bags to dis pose of faeces. To document the toilet practices an d knowledge of its health implication among the inhab itants of Kintampo District of Northern Ghana. An analytic cross-sectional study design including the use of qualitative methods was used to examine the household and community toilet practices among the inhabitants of the Kintampo North District of Ghana. Majority of the household heads interviewed 176 (70.4%) were males, 74 were (29.6%) females, 134 (53.6%) were not educated, and 55.5% were eithe r farmers or labourers. Only 15.6% of the 250 household heads admitted having toilet facility in their homes, the remaining 84.4% don’t have any pla ce of connivance were they live.
Share this article